Infinity Refugee Crisis

Author Topic: Chibi Foreign Company  (Read 9995 times)

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Camproval: +81/-80
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
    • Captain Spud Is Amazing
Re: Chibi Foreign Company
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 11:11:16 PM »
1) I believe in you.

2) I had a very productive weekend. :D

The ignorant must be beaten with the mallet of wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.

Baron_Plumpenstrudel

• HK Refugee
  • Camproval: +6/-12
  • Hohohoho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »
1) I believe in you.

2) I had a very productive weekend. :D

I'm unsettled by the fact that you've reached even Camproval, and that I'm the one that put you there, but good work is good work. Still, I feel like I've lost my identity. Like I'm a shell of the person I once was.

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 04:51:09 PM »
I still don't like Hannibal's character design, but whatever, he's done. *shrug*

The ignorant must be beaten with the mallet of wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.

Quickit

• HK Refugee
  • Camproval: +29/-6
  • balancing small people and hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »
"Yeah, I'm gonna have to ask you to bend over and cough.  I won't enjoy this any more than you do."

Best.Doctor.Model.Ever.

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 10:57:15 PM »
In retrospect, it may have been a mistake to pose so many of the models to be un-photographable except from very low angles. Group shots are becoming a pain in the ass. >_<

Snake Eyes

• HK Refugee
  • Camproval: +22/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 09:56:17 AM »
I like the sneaky Zero trying to hide behind the lightning blast

Quickit

• HK Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to show off your models at Adepticon - good news is no pressure to get the last two done before you leave!  If society still exists next April, I'm sure they'll be ready for that Adepticon.

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 09:12:14 PM »
I'm still aiming to finish them for the same deadline, just without a lot of the other accessories I was planning to do (multiple trays, etc.). I had those days off either way, so I'm going to truck down to St. Catharines and premiere them to the world on an episode of Guerrilla Miniature Games instead. :)

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 09:50:54 PM »
Massacre got paused over the weekend after the bad news hit, but I sighed and picked the brush back up yesterday, and he's "done enough". He definitely has a good and a bad side, though-- the left side looks really weird and dark, and I might need to keep poking the shading to balance everything out. But, he's good enough to take pictures, so let's all just close our eyes and pretend the rest for now. :P

Baron_Plumpenstrudel

• HK Refugee
  • Hohohoho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 03:09:39 AM »
Massacre got paused over the weekend after the bad news hit, but I sighed and picked the brush back up yesterday, and he's "done enough". He definitely has a good and a bad side, though-- the left side looks really weird and dark, and I might need to keep poking the shading to balance everything out. But, he's good enough to take pictures, so let's all just close our eyes and pretend the rest for now. :P

Any inclination to make a chibi corona virus? Or a cute Corona-Chan for Ian's YuJing?

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 01:44:39 PM »
Hey look, it's some guys. ^_^

I need to do my nitpick pass on Valkyrie (all of the pictures I post in this thread had about another 1-2 hours of cleanup afterward), but I'm pretty pleased with her overall look. :)

Remaining work for the army:

- Build bases (desert with smashed REM parts)
- Paint bases
- Build tray-slash-photo backdrop
- Add Valkyrie and Laxmee's glasses. I've done a limited prototype that I'm reasonably happy with in concept, but I need to do a full-scale prototype to confirm that it works before I risk the actual models. I've been dreading this finishing touch throughout the project, but we're finally just about at the point where I have to rip off the bandaid and do it. ;_;

Quickit

• HK Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
Really amazing job.  Very impressed!  I'm curious to see the reactions when you put this on the CB forums.  This level of cool might get a reaction from CB itself. Anything special planned for the bases?  Will they match the display stand?

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »
So, I spent a few weeks doing prototypes for the glasses in a few different ways, and I thought I had a pretty promising approach sorted out, but my full-scale test yesterday was a huge disaster. Sooo... Plan A and Plan B (both of which involved Water Effects, and both of which clouded up in the tests) got abandoned. >_<

That put me on Plan C, which was "things that will look good but may not be sturdy enough to last forever". I'm not excited about the knowledge that they may eventually fall apart, but I'll content myself with them looking good for long enough to take pictures. :/

These are made with teensy rectangles cut out of a ziploc and super-glued in place. The bond isn't very strong due to the minimal contact area. :( Also, the reticule on Laxmee wasn't planned-- she got some glue schmutz on her lens that I couldn't get off, so I added the design to mask it. Still looks okay. *shrug*

Bases are well under way and should be done today, so I'm hoping to put together a preliminary set of "pretty photos" by tonight. ^_^
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:26:11 AM by captainspud »

droftarts

• Camproval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
Looks good!  How much time did you spend from concept to the finished sculpts?

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:33 PM »
Concepts were done over a couple of days in October, and sculpting basically began in January (I started one of the zeroes in December but barely did anything until I was back from the holiday break). I've been pretty good about sticking to the work and not getting distracted, so it's been a pretty solid 3 months of work. However, unlike my usual production misery, this was all pretty fun to do-- chibis are less miserable than normal sculpting (since the rounded shape that the clay wants to assume is your desired result, instead of something you have to endlessly fight against), and the painting was fun since most of the models had their own unique colour schemes to play around with.

Happy potato. ^_^

Quickit

• HK Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 06:04:44 PM »

[/quote]
Any inclination to make a chibi corona virus? Or a cute Corona-Chan for Ian's YuJing?

[/quote]

Nope - I'm still waiting for this.  Whenever Spud feels inspired!

He'll make a fantastic Puppet Master.  His three puppets will be named Donald, Eric, and Don Jr. 

captainspud

• Treacherous Vizier
  • Administrator
  • Treacherous Vizier
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 10:15:07 PM »

Quickit

• HK Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 03:54:18 PM »
I hope that's not you dropping dead from Covid. 

Otherwise, Epic!  I had assumed you had found a toy A-team van.  Didn't suspect it would have to be scratch built with everything else. 

:hk_thumbsup:

droftarts

• Camproval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
Awesome!:hk_thumbsup:

Baron_Plumpenstrudel

• HK Refugee
  • Hohohoho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 09:22:11 PM »
A TEAM VAN NICE!

A worthy project to go out on. Hail Corona!